“There is no God , So shouts the fool…”(Psalms 14:1)
I’ve been talking to an atheist for days, and he mentioned the wars fought in the Bible that killed both women and children. In a discussion regarding God’s “injustice” and allowing suffering.
Atheist: “is it righteous to slaughter man women and children at God’s command as has happened in the Bible many times?”
Spencer Tyler: “So God really isn’t love ….right ? (1 John 4:8) That is the conclusion that we are forced to draw. He should mitigate the suffering that mankind imposes on each other. He should immediately destroy the effects of sin we caused and he should move to kill Satan now and get this all over with now .
What has he done in the last few thousand years ?
God is not delaying.( 2 Peter 3:9)
1. He has provided Jesus to take away the sins of the world that was introduced by man 1 John 3:5
2. He has provided the Holy Spirit as a deposit on our future ( Ephesians 1:14 ) (2 Corinthians 1:22)
3. The same God that is being accused of being unloving continues to reveal who he is In the person of Jesus if we choose to seek fellowship with Him (John 17:25-26 1 Corinthians 1:9)
4. We are assured eternal life , free from pain and dying and that he will reside with us (John 17:3 Revelation 21:3, 4 )
5. He has gained the victory over death (1 Corinthians 15:55-57)
6. We have a King (Acts 2:30) He has already defeated Satan Revelation 17:14
7. He is promised a new heavens and earth to replace the Old creation that we are apart of (Revelation 21:1 2 Peter 3:13 )
We want all of this and we want free will . Some would rather to skip out on the condemnation that he promised would happen as a result of disobedience. (Genesis 2:17) . Adam’s choice is our choice we have all sinned(Romans 3:23) Everything is going according to the time table in which God has set in his jurisdiction (Acts 1:7 ) We may not see the end of suffering if Jesus does not return in our lifetime. However, Israel waited 1800 years for the Messiah. It has been over 2000 years since he left. That is not a lot of time from the perspective of the King of Eternity (1 Timothy 1:17)
Christians are not making excuses for God’s “supposed absence”. We are saying that he is not absent and that like he delivered the children of Israel that he has already delivered us. He is a living , active and loving God. He is not a God of inaction.”